Last month I posted an article called "Deadheading (Or Things My Mother Told Me)".
At the time, I didn't have any examples to illustrate what I was talking about, but yesterday, as I walked through one of my three Buck "Earth Song" beds, finishing up the process on some canes and snapping spent blooms off others, I saw a couple of perfect examples of what I want to show you about my somewhat different deadheading process, which, as I mentioned previously, goes back many generations to my parents' rosarian/agrarian roots in Europe. Also, please note that this method was recommended in an American Rose article a few years ago.
Here are the pictures I snapped yesterday with my iPhone. Note the strong new growth jumping out right below the stems that I left on the plants on my initial deadheading pass a week or two ago. If I had cut those canes back further initially, all of that strong, new growth would have been eliminated. As soon as I snapped these pictures, I snipped off the old stems just above the new growth. Using this method, I now have Buck "Earth Song" and "Carefree Beauty" roses topping six feet tall.
As usual, a picture is worth a thousand words!