Sunday, August 19, 2012

Some Deadheading Examples

Last month I posted an article called "Deadheading (Or Things My Mother Told Me)".
http://jack-rosarian.blogspot.com/2012/06/deadheading-or-things-my-mother-told-me.html

 At the time, I didn't have any examples to illustrate what I was talking about, but yesterday, as I walked through one of my three Buck "Earth Song" beds, finishing up the process on some canes and snapping spent blooms off others, I saw a couple of perfect examples of what I want to show you about my somewhat different deadheading process, which, as I mentioned previously, goes back many generations to my parents' rosarian/agrarian roots in Europe.  Also, please note that this method was recommended in an American Rose article a few  years ago.

Here are the pictures I snapped yesterday with my iPhone.  Note the strong new growth jumping out right below the stems that I left on the plants on my initial deadheading pass a week or two ago.  If I had cut those canes back further initially, all of that strong, new growth would have been eliminated.  As soon as I snapped these pictures, I snipped off the old stems just above the new growth.  Using this method, I now have Buck "Earth Song" and "Carefree Beauty" roses topping six feet tall.

As usual, a picture is worth a thousand words!


No comments:

Post a Comment