Monday, May 16, 2016

Minnesota Rose Society Presentation -"The Pesticide-Free Rose Garden"- May 2016

Here is the PowerPoint presentation I made to the Minnesota Rose Society, on May 14, 2016, based on my blog "The Pesticide-Free Rose Garden", published May 13, 2016.

The bullet-point slides are a little more succinct than the blog itself.  I also go into greater detail on Japanese Beetles in this presentation.  Here's the address of the blog: http://theminnesotarosegardener.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-pesticide-free-rose-garden.html

I received a very nice comment about the blog from Brian Spencer, President of Applied Bio-nomics, the Canadian company that generates the predatory mites that are shown and recommended in the presentation.  Brian says:"...That is an excellent summary. I can find nothing to add or edit. You have done a great service to Rose growers."



That's just how my dad looked "dusting" his roses.  Note that Rockwell's only protection was his hat and his pipe, and look at the cloud of dust right in front of his face. He was breathing in whatever he was applying.  It's also worth noting that those roses don't look very good.






 I highly recommend this book.  It is available both new and used on Amazon.







I'm at my happiest when I'm among the pollinators and beneficials in my insectary gardens. When this picture was taken on a hot, August afternoon in 2015, the garden was swarming with bees, butterflies, predatory wasps and a variety of flies, lacewings, lady beetles etc.  This was not true in my gardens two years earlier.
























Note that many of these plants/seeds are available on-line from Prairie Moon Nursery in Winona, MN: https://www.prairiemoon.com/seeds/wildflowers-forbs/

For my Minnesota readers, several of these plants (Angelica and Lovage for example), are available at Shady Acres Herb Farm (a very nice place) in Chaska:
http://www.shadyacres.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment